Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships provide support to young people who want a future in the food and farming industry. Since the programme launched three years ago, Silver Fern Farms has invested $90,000 to further the careers of young people, helping to develop their careers and capabilities in the red meat sector.
In 2020 we will continue our commitment to investing in our future red meat sector leaders and recognising and rewarding excellence emerging in our communities.
We want to hear from people wanting to develop their career in the food or farming industry with interests in; red meat, farming, agriculture, marketing and sales, research and development, sustainability, food processing, cooking and food technology. The dates for applying for the Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships 2020 will be announced early 2020.
- Scholarship applications are invited from anyone aged between 17 and 25 with one year’s industry experience or tertiary education.
- Applicants must have the support of one Silver Fern Farms Co-operative Shareholder who can act as a referee
- The scholarship recipients will receive a cash grant of $5,000 for the year it is awarded in
- The scholarship funds must be spent to help the recipient to further their career in the food industry. For example, studying at polytechnic, university, a farm cadet programme or a food science course or culinary design school
- Recipients must provide proof that the funds have been spent according to the criteria
- Applicants need to have a good academic record, good interpersonal skills and a passion for food and the red meat industry
- Recipients must agree to stay in touch with Silver Fern Farms to update on their achievements
Silver Fern Farms reviews all applications. We will call shortlisted applicants to discuss their application and how they meet the scholarship criteria. It is very important for applicants to provide a phone number we can call during business hours. Scholarships will be awarded on the recommendation of a scholarships selection committee made up of representatives from Silver Fern Farms and the Co-operation.
A number of criteria guide our selection decisions:
- Presentation and answers to questions on the application
- Academic merit
- Evidence of an understanding of New Zealand livestock, meat and related agribusiness sectors
- Evidence of an understanding of Silver Fern Farms brand strategy, Plate to Pasture
- Evidence of understanding of New Zealand’s food industry
- Agreement to attend the Plate to Pasture Farmer Forum to improve understanding of Silver Fern Farms
For any further information or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us here.
Silver Fern Farms has presented six young people from around New Zealand with Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships as recognition for their ideas to further the sustainability of the red meat sector. Each recipient received $5000 to go toward their careers in the red meat sector. This year’s applicants were asked to explore the issues of sustainability in the red meat sector and present their solutions for farms, processing and in-market. It has been great to hear the innovative ideas and passion from young people who have their sights set firmly on creating a sustainable future for the red meat sector.
The Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarship 2019 recipients are:
Upper North Island – William Robertson
Western North Island – Lucy Rowe
Easter North Island – Phoebe Topp
Upper South Island – Teagan Graham
Lower South Island – Matthew Day
Judges Choice – Kate Denzel