The Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Awards celebrate the best of our lamb, beef, deer, bull and dairy stock suppliers who consistently supply quality stock.
How you make the cut
In the initial round, we find the top six farms in your region in each stock category based on the following criteria from supply information in the 2018 year.
- Specification and presentation
- Shareholding in the co-operative
- Supply timing (with a weighting for being able to supply in times when we need stock for customers’ chilled programmes)
- Supply volume
- Supplying direct through their Silver Fern Farms Livestock Representative
- Loyalty over multiple seasons
- Farm Assurance status
The second round is an on-farm assessment of the six regional final winners conducted by a panel of judges. The assessment panel will cover the areas in the questionnaire on page two and then determine the winner. The panel consists of:
- Silver Fern Farms Director – Tony O’Boyle
- Plate to Pasture Winner 2018 – Hamish Galletly
- Melissa Sowden – Silver Fern Farms’ Agribusiness Technical Support
Regional finalists are advised to select two to three areas of their farming operation that illustrate key areas of their farm’s performance.
The prizes at stake
Regional Winners will receive a Plate to Pasture NZ Market Experience in 2020 where you will meet our customers, and chefs to get a deeper understanding of our Chain of Care in New Zealand.
The winner of the Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Award 2019 will be announced at the Farmer Conference.
The winner will receive an overseas market experience for two and the opportunity to host a farm field day and take part on the Plate to Pasture judging panel for 2018.